Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Book"warm" 2007

Every publication worth its name publishes its own list of the books famous people have read in that year.The list includes statesmen,politicians,businessmen,directors,actors,journalists and the ever elusive writers...whos names arent mentioned unless they get a five or six figure advance someday.Anyway coming to the point, I did prepare a list of my personal favourites this year.I am not exactly a bookworm.But i would rather call myself a bookwarm.Books warm me.Away from the cold and hostile world outside.The masala book i read this year has to be'Oil' by Jonathan Cape.It was a wonderful accout of the oil barons of the world and their predictably oily ways.The book which eluded me was 'Great Expectations'.....a classic but i could not get myself to go through it.Somehow i felt i was tiring myself.People tell me its a wonderful book.Probably like all classics i will come to know their worth as i age.The most beautiful love story this year has to be 'An Equal Music' by Vikram Seth.Once you finish the book you feel lonely.Lovelorn.And it epitomises the biggest quality of a love story.It makes one realise there is a loveless world outside.Waiting to pounce on people who love each other.The best books i have read this year is a tie.And surprisingly(or maybe not)both of the contenders are ladies in their mid-30s.The "search for life" book is 'God of Small Things' by Arundhuti Roy.It hurt me.Enraged me.And loved me.And the subtle turbulent and the most touching book was 'Interpreter of Maladies' by Jhumpa Lahiri.Its not a tad on the latter book.'The Namesake'.........it touched me personally.The 'Five Point Someone' of the year would be 'Inscrutable Americans'......A fitting end to the years reading was provided by 'An Ordinary Persons Guide To The Empire'...by Arundhuti Roy.Though i had read 'road to harsud' and 'istant mix democracy' earlier arundhuti's roys are always 'rock-music'to my ears.Acid quotes,seemingly obnoxious comments,and a powerful anti-imperialist voice.The only regret this year.....if only i could have read more books.If only.......

No comments: